It sneaks into your mouth slowly, sometimes silently and painlessly, and steals your teeth! This horrible creature, called gum disease or periodontal disease, affects over 75% of adults at some time and causes them more tooth loss than cavities do. Caused by plaque bacteria that attack gums, supporting tissues and even bones, periodontal disease may display warning signs such as:
- • Gums that are red, swollen, tender or bleed easily
- • Gums that have pulled away from teeth
- • Persistent bad breath or bad taste
- • Changes in tooth position, looseness, separation or mismatch
Factors increasing gum disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene, family history, especially crooked teeth, pregnancy, diabetes and certain medications. Not to worry – when detected in earlier stages, gum disease can be treated and even reversed. Let OC Family Dentistry check your gums today and help ward off that sneaky attacker!
Diagnosis and treatment of periodontal (gum and bone) disease vitally affects oral and physical health. Studies have linked gum disease to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other life-threatening conditions. Dentists design soft tissue management (STM) plans to achieve lifelong dental health by eliminating gum infection, inflammation, deep pockets and bleeding to achieve periodontal health.
A soft tissue management plan typically consists of:
- • A thorough periodontal exam, including deep pocket measurements
- • Deep cleaning below the gum line into the pockets
- • Irrigating treated areas with medication
- • More frequent cleanings
- • A long-term home cleaning regimen
When treated in the early stages, the ravaging effects of periodontal disease can be stopped and kept under control. OC Family Dentistry uses the most effective periodontal treatments and technologies to enable you to enjoy fresher breath and healthier gums and teeth.